In this day of advanced telecommunications, it’s possible to file bankruptcy and complete the process entirely from your home, without a trip to our offices or the courthouse. Covid concerns and mobility limitations justify completing the entire process using the telephone, email, and the internet. And some people are just really nervous about going to a law office or courthouse. Of course, we prefer to meet in person to get to know you better, but remote filing works just fine.
Filing Bankruptcy from your home: The process is easy.
So, the process for doing this from your home goes like this:
- I’ll do a free initial consultation with you over the telephone or via Zoom to evaluate your situation and advise you whether you should file or not, and if I think it’ll benefit you to file, then what type of bankruptcy would work best for you. We’ll hang up then as you’ll probably want to think about it and maybe ask a friend or family member what they think.
- If you decide to go forward with filing bankruptcy, you’ll call my office back to set up a telephone filing appointment.
- During the filing appointment, we’ll spend about 45 minutes getting more information from you and discussing some important issues. We’ll take a break for about an hour and a half while I prepare your paperwork and you take your first round of credit counseling on the internet or over the phone.
- Once that’s done, I’ll email you the filing paperwork for review, and we’ll talk again for about half an hour to go over that paperwork and any questions you have.
- Once I’ve made any needed changes, you’ll sign the final version on your phone or computer via a program called “Docusign” – it’s really easy.
- You can pay any fees that need to be paid through our website and we’re ready to file your case.
After filing, you’ll need to complete a second credit counseling course. And, you’ll have a very short court hearing via a telephone conference with me and your case trustee – your part will last about 5 minutes. And for almost all cases, that’s it!
Frankly, before Covid came along, doing a bankruptcy like this wouldn’t have seemed possible, but now it’s become pretty normal. For more information about filing bankruptcy without leaving your home, visit our website at www.kansascitybankruptcy.com or call for a free consultation with one of our attorneys. At WM Law, we are here to Help.